Feedback

If you have any comments, suggestions or feature requests please add them here. Problems and errata can be reported on Bug Reports page.

271 Responses to “Feedback”

1. Miguel Bento says:

I think the second update statement was truncated. Here goes both statements again:

update results
    set (fastestLap,fastestLapTime) = (select lap, time from (select l.lap, l.time, min(l.milliseconds) from laptimes l where l.raceId=results.raceId and l.driverId=results.driverId))
    where raceId in (select raceId from races where year between 1996 and 2003);

update results
    set rank=(select count(*)+1 from results r where r.raceId = results.raceId and r.fastestLapTime 0 and raceId in (select raceId from races where year between 1996 and 2003);

2. Miguel Bento says:

Harrrg, it’s the ‘less than’ and ‘greater than’ signs!

Let’s try again the 2 statements:

update results
    where raceId in (select raceId from races where year between 1996 and 2003);

update results
    set rank=(select count(*)+1 from results r where r.raceId = results.raceId and r.fastestLapTime < results.fastestLapTime)
    where laps > 0 and raceId in (select raceId from races where year between 1996 and 2003);

3. Admin says:

Hi Miguel,
    Many thanks. I may try this offline initially.
    Chris

4. Daniel Johnson says:

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to drop you a line to say hi and to let you know I’m working on a React frontend for the API as a portfolio project. I’ll be getting docker going and putting the API on my local, but in case you were wondering about the increased requests that’s me. Feel free to email me with any questions/concerns, thanks!

Best,
    Dan

5. Jason says:

Thanks so much for this, appreciated!

Just wondering why you have inconsistent casing of fields in the JSON view? eg. “raceName” (good), “season” (good), then “Circuit”?

6. Admin says:

Hi Jason,
    The original idea was that elements with structure started with a capital letter whereas singular values started with lowercase. However, there are a few mistakes and inconsistencies which are difficult to change now – like using strings for integers.
    Chris

7. Admin says:

Hi Jason,
    The API doesn’t make use of data from F1.com but uses a variety of public sources.
    Chris

8. David says:

I first wanted to thank you for this API.

I am developing an Android application in which I store the information in a local database.

Is there a way to know what content has been modified since a specific time? Or something like an index indicating the version of each table?

In this way, it would only be necessary to request the table that has a greater version than the one stored locally, thus avoiding unnecessary calls.

Thanks!

9. Admin says:

Hi David,
    Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything currently in the API which would support that. The last time I looked at incremental updates I came to the conclusion that there was no reliable solution – but I’m open to ideas!
    Chris

10. Davide says:

Hi, is it possible to retrieve the Free Practice lap times from the API? I didn’t find so I’m guessing no, but asking never hurts 🙂

Cheers,
    Davide

11. Admin says:

Hi Davide,
    Unfortunately not – it would need to be processed on Friday, which is a working day.
    Chris

12. Adam Paxton says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing this data and API. I’ve defined some of the endpoints in OpenAPI Spec to help generate libraries for some of my projects. I’m posting it here in case someone else can find it useful. Thanks again for collecting and sharing this data!

Adam

13. Admin says:

Hi Adam,
    Many thanks for sharing the endpoint descriptions. I’ve added your link to a section on API tools in the Application Gallery.
    Chris

14. Supermicha says:

Hallo Adam,

thank you for doing this here!!

Would it be possible to add the offical (full) race names?

e.g. “FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX 2020”
    and not only “British Grand Prix”

15. Admin says:

Hi Supermicha,
    I have to be careful about making changes to the API – people will have allocated a certain amount of space for each text field.
    Chris

16. Wesley says:

Hi Chris,
    Is it possible to add the practices and quali date and times to the schedule or to a seperate api call?
    Wesley

17. Admin says:

Hi Wesley,
    I would if I could find the data – preferably before the season starts.
    Chris

18. Hi Chris,
    I found some data at https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2020.html and at https://formulaonecalendar.com/.
    I don’t know if the second one is reliable at the start of the season.
    Wesley

19. Admin says:

Thanks Wesley – I’ll take a look before the next season.
    Cheers,
    Chris

20. Supermicha says:

Hi Admin, referring to my question about full race names and your answer…

“Hi Supermicha,
    Chris”

maybe you can itegrate both… the ‘old’ short one and the full name?

and another problem.
    this year the two bahrain races takes part on the same track but in different layouts. The second is officially named ‘Bahrain International Circuit – Outer Track’ maybee it is itegratable?

21. saddish says:

Hello Admin, my feedback is that in the “constructor information”, there should be the constructor’s team picture as well as all the information there already.

saddish